fbpx

The old Bridges and Canals, Phnom Penh

$530.00 All taxes included

Original Postcards & Document

Year: 1894

52x69m

A system of drainage canals were dug during the 1890’s- the largest being the Grand Canal. Completed in 1894 the Grand canal stretched from the Tonle Sap then ran through Quay Verneville , and then vertically through Monsignor Miche Boulevard (present-day Monivong Boulevard), and back east to Tonle Sap. It was a 3.100 metres long, with 3 different arms.
Un système de canaux de drainage a été creusé dans les années 1890, le plus grand étant le Grand Canal. Achevé en 1894, le Grand canal s’étendait du Tonlé Sap puis traversait le quai Verneville, puis verticalement le boulevard Monseigneur Miche (aujourd’hui boulevard Monivong), et retour à jusqu’à Tonlé Sap. Il mesure 3.100 mètres de long, avec 3 bras différents. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Authentic document summarizing the work of the Phnom Penh canal in Cambodia dates from 1894
– Postcard “Cambodge Phnom Penh -Canal de Verneville et pont sur le Quai”: The de Verneville Canal allowed the release of one million cubic metres of earth to improve the sanitation of the town by filling up the swampy areas.
– Postcard 24: Pont des Nagas. Called also the Treasury bridge, it connected the European town to the Chinese and Cambodian Town and was built in 1892. (Henry Editeur)
– Postcard 1618: Cambodge, canal de Verneville dans la cite.
– Postcard 1605: Cambodge, Phnom Penh -pont de Verneville: One of the more stunning constructions which crossed the Grand Canal as it reached the Tonle Sap river, somewhere around where the Japanese Friendship bridge is. The bridge was named after Monsieur Albert-Louis Huyn de Verneville, 2 times Résident-supérieur in Cambodia (July 1889-January 1894 and August 1894-May 1897). The bridge was also known as the Dollars bridge and was knocked down at the beginning of the 1930’s. (P.Dieulefils).
– Postcard 532: Le Pont des Nagas, Phnom Penh: This bridge credited to Daniel Fabre and completed in 1892, linked the Chinese and European quarters and was also known as Treasury Bridge due to the location next to the National Treasury. It was demolished, and later rebuilt in its original location just south of Wat Phnom at the top of Norodom Boulevard. (Albert Portail)
– Postcard 176: Le Pont des Nagas: The body of the Nagas (Cobra) forms the parapet of the bridge and at each end stands the Naga with its seven heads. (Victor Fievet) – Plan of the interior canal and bridges (L’ illustration-1884) – Reproduction document

In stock

By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to the use of cookies, whose purpose is to provide web analytics and measurements of visitor traffic and browsing behavior, define personalized services and offers tailored to your interests, and share data with, or redirect users from, third-party websites, including social networks.