fbpx

Central Market

$420.00 All taxes included

Original postcards and Photos

Year: 1920
31x35cm

Construction: August 1935-June 1937
Inauguration: September 1937 by H.M Sisowath Monivong
Contractor: Société Indochinoise d’Etude et de Construction
Composition: 1285 m3 of concrete & 212 tons of steel _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1920, the only indoor market in the city is Phsar Chas (or “Old Market”), built in 1892. The development of the number of inhabitants makes necessary the creation of a larger market.
In 1921, Ernest Hébrard a French architect from the newly formed French Society of Urban Planning was sent to Cambodia. He then implemented a vast modernization program for the city of Phnom Penh with the filling of swamps and canals, the construction of gardens and major transportation artery and the creation of a commercial zone in the heart of the city.
In 1928, in the heart of the Chinese neighborhood where most of the traders were already located, the swamp land on the site of the future Central Market was filled in.
It had to wait until the end of the Great Depression to see the beginning of construction in 1935.
En 1920, le seul marché couvert de la ville est Phsar Chas (ou « Vieux Marché »), construit en 1892. L’évolution du nombre d’habitants rend nécessaire la création d’un marché plus vaste.
En 1921, Ernest Hébrard, un architecte français de la Société française d’urbanisme nouvellement créée, fut envoyé au Cambodge. Il met alors en œuvre un vaste programme de modernisation de la ville de Phnom Penh avec le comblement des marécages et des canaux, la construction de jardins et d’artères de transport importantes et la création d’une zone commerciale au cœur de la ville.
En 1928, au cœur du quartier chinois Boeung Déchor (ou Khan Daun penh) où se trouvaient déjà la plupart des commerçants, les terres marécageuses de l’emplacement du futur Marché Central sont comblées.
Il fallut attendre la fin de la Grande Dépression pour voir le début des constructions en 1935.

In stock

By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to the use of cookies, whose purpose is to provide web analytics and measurements of visitor traffic and browsing behavior, define personalized services and offers tailored to your interests, and share data with, or redirect users from, third-party websites, including social networks.